Monday, February 28, 2011

i told you so


We interrupt this regular blogcast to bring you three words.

Colin. Firth. Rocks.

I have been saying it for years, and finally the world recognizes my wisdom.

I simply cannot write the blog post I had intended today because I have to gloat.

As I told the nurse who took my blood pressure this morning (perfect, by the way), I have not raved about a movie since Return of the King in 2003. Either I have high standards or just a thing about movies with the word 'king' in the title. I am talking, of course, about The King's Speech, the official best picture of 2010.

Go see it. And for those of you who may hesitate to see it because of its rating--the only reason for the 'R' rating is the dropping of a few F bombs. OK, quite a few. But, unlike standard Hollywood fare, they are not gratuitous but quite necessary to the plot (plus really, really funny).

So what does this have to do with the professed topic of my blog? A lot, actually. The message of the movie underscores so much of what I write about and am passionate about. Like,

  • Letting down our masks and defenses is usually the first step to healing.
  • Needing something worth fighting for is deep in the human soul.
  • Don't overlook the less glamorous, less talented, or less confident. God actually seems to prefer working with them when he wants to do something great.
Most importantly,

  • What people call you, even or especially not-so-great parents, does not define who you are.
  • What you do in the face of difficulty, when others need you, does.

No comments: