Thursday, August 25, 2011

stranger than fiction

Imagine you did something illegal when you were seven years old. In point of fact, you didn't even really understand that you did it. But, you did. Now imagine that, ten years later, someone told you you were going to lose everything you had ever known--your home, family, school and work--because of it. Are you imagining? How do you feel about that upheaval of life as you know it?

Now imagine that this isn't imagination for thousands of people. And you will know why I have written the novel for young adults that I have and why I believe so much in getting it out there.

My characters are fictional. So, if you like, read the story of someone for whom this story is real.

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/21/139823639/new-policy-gives-hope-to-some-facing-deportation

Not everyone is going to like what the book has to say, though I try to be balanced. But I think that Melissa would.

No comments: