Monday, January 23, 2012

hitting send

After almost five months, I have to unequivocally say that I do love my Macbook. Almost. The one things that drives me around the bend is the autocorrect. You know what I mean. Many of you have been victims.

You type one thing, and you think, when you hit “send” or “post” or whatever, that it has put what you said into writing. But alas, you made a typo somewhere, and instead of telling your spouse you'd like to kiss him when he gets home, you apparently told him you'd like to kill him. Makes a big difference in the mood when he walks in the door.

My computer thinks it knows what I meant. It thinks it knows what was right. It truly believes, somewhere in its Big Apple brain, that it knows what is best. But often enough, it is not at all what I meant.

Sometimes I suspect our own autocorrects work that way. We think we know what is best. We're sure we are following the right path. We truly believe we have the knowledge and understanding to blaze our own trail and get it right. But we get it wrong.

The writer of Proverbs says, “There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death.” Perhaps we should not be so quick to trust our own autocorrects. Perhaps we don't know as much as we think we do. Chances are excellent that you, like me, have quite a bit of past evidence to support that conclusion.

I try to proofread my messages now before I hit “send.” I'll try harder to proofread my life by checking with the Editor in Chief before anything goes out that may not have been the best message I wanted to send.

No comments: