Thursday, November 29, 2012

this is a turtle. and it's the next big thing.


Happy week after Thanksgiving! This odd picture is from what I hope is an upcoming young adult book by . . . me!
Today I’m having fun participating in a series of blog articles called “The Next Big Thing.” It's kind of a ‘Blog Chain’ I was invited to by author Tracy Krauss (http://networkedblogs.com/EIjqP), and it’s my job to invite several people and so on. I’m not sure where it all began, but it’s a cool idea, and it's spreading. So if you like to read about what people are writing, or if you're looking for a good Christmas present book, read on.
The book i'm talking about isn't one I'm currently writing, but it is one I'm working on getting published. So I'd love feedback!
What is the working title of your book?

How NOT to Be Noticed: My High School Anti-Plan for Success. You have to know this is about the fifth working title. My title-creating ability is up there with my knitting mittens ability. Which is not up anywhere. Someone else came up with this title. That is why I like it best so far.
Where did the idea/inspiration come from for the book?

I love reading and teaching YA literature, but I never thought I'd write for kids. Then, after trying to read my novel for adults, my youngest daughter begged me to write something for her age. I figured, if I love reading it, why not try? So she is to blame.
I don't remember the inspiration for this particular story, but it's born of a couple things. One is my friend Rocio who came to this country, worked like crazy to make a life, and allowed me the privilege of sharing in her citizenship ceremony. The other is my middle daughter, whose zest for the unusual in life and whose former fear of the spotlight find their counterpart in Madeline just a little.
What genre does your book fall under?

Young adult contemporary humorous fiction. There are no vampires, werewolves, zombies, or other supernatural creatures to be seen (or unseen). Unless you count the creepy geometry teacher.
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Madeline―as in fine, not fin―wants to be called Arwen. She also wants to pass art without breaking anything, to live down her junior high nickname, to stop letting her best friend entangle her in activities that imply she cares about high school, and to convince her parents to give up their quest to adopt another daughter. Like any of that is going to happen.
She wants not to be noticed, to stand out, or to have to come out from behind the stage curtains, ever. Like that’s not going to happen. Freshman year is not starting well.

Enter Angelina and Rocio, who complicate everything. What are they hiding and why don't they want to talk about Angelina's dad?
So how does this girl who only wants to be not seen and not heard get to speaking her mind in front of half the town―and not necessarily the friendly half?

OK, that was a bit more than one sentence. Oh well. To see more, go to: http://jillmarierichardson.com/YoungAdult.html

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It's with my agent now, so say some prayers!
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I did the first few chapters over a couple months, then I finished it off during NaNoWriMo. For the uninitiated, that's National Novel Writing Month, in which you write a novel in a month. Makes sense, no? Obviously, that was a rough draft.
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
My favorite YA author is Sharon Creech, so I'd love to be compared to her. I think the current writer my style is most like is probably Julie Halpern.


What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
It focuses on the issue of illegal immigration in a very personal way. It also looks at how Madeline's faith changes how she acts, but not in a “Christian novel” way. It's not aimed at Christian publishing, though if it goes that way I'll take whatever I get!
So—to the next five authors, tag, you're it!
Elizabeth Dudak: http://writewhereibelong.com
Catherine Hackman: http://www.catherinehackman.com
Amy Sullivan: http://www.amylsullivan1.com

Sadly, the fifth person I had 'tagged' passed away this last week. She was a great and encouraging writer and will be hugely missed.

2 comments:

Amy Sullivan said...

Jill, Just put my post up! Thanks for the invite.

Catherine said...

Thanks, Jill. I'll get mine up this morning.