Friday, August 14, 2015

For the Love of Five Great Quotes



As I mentioned in Monday's blog, I've been blessed to be a part of the launch team for Jen Hatmaker's new book, For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards, (officially releasing next week!). It has been a ride I won't forget for a book that should be on everyone's bookshelf and heart. This Friday, we are linking up to share our favorite five quotes from the book. Let me tell you, this was tough. Five? Five???? I have, like, five hundred. But here we are. I whittled it down. Here is a quick taste of why I love her words.







"If it isn’t also true for a poor single Christian mom in Haiti, it isn’t true. 
Theology is either true everywhere or it isn’t true anywhere. This helps untangle us from the American God Narrative and sets God free to be God instead of the My-God-in-a-Pocket I carried for so long. It lends restraint when declaring what God does or does not think, because sometimes my portrayal of God’s ways sounds suspiciously like the American Dream and I had better check myself. Because of the Haitian single mom. Maybe I should speak less for God." 

This one has gone into a sermon already. And will again. Amen, sister. Soooo amen.






"May I suggest a starting place as truth receivers? It is okay for someone else to struggle. Furthermore, it is okay to not fix it/solve it/answer it/discredit it. Another believer can experience tension, say something true that makes people uncomfortable, and God will not fall off His throne. It is not our responsibility to fix every mess. If someone steps onto the scary ledge of truth, it is enough to acknowledge her courage and make this promise: I am here with you as your friend, not your Savior
We are not good gods over one another; we are better humans beside each other."




"Are we arrogant and judgmental? Do we subtly (or overtly) teach our children to suspect anyone “other”? Do we put mainly defensive spiritual tools in our kids’ hands, fostering an “against them” rather than “for them” posture? Do we emphasize behavior over character? Because good behavior won't guarantee anything. If they don’t love Jesus and people, it matters zero if they remain virgins and don’t say the F-word. 
We must shepherd their hearts, not just their hemlines. 
The best we can do is give them Jesus. Not rules, not behaviors, not entertainment, not shame. I have no confidence in myself but every confidence in Jesus."


"You’ll never regret parting with grace, but you might deeply regret burning a bridge that might one day be safe to venture back over again."




"The breadth of God’s family is mercifully wide. Grace has no discernment, apparently. Jesus created a motley crew, plucking us from every context and inaugurating a piecemeal clan that has only ever functioned with mercy. We should be grabbing hands, throwing our heads back, and laughing that God saved us all, because surely this is the messiest family ever and He loves us anyway. 
Our shared redemption should keep us grateful and kind, because what other response even makes sense?"



Is this enough to make you preorder the book? Take a look on Amazon? Well, you can right here. Be back Monday with more.










4 comments:

Becky Yurisich said...

I love the quotes you chose, and how all of us picked different ones!

My Friday Five can be found at http://www.beckyyurisich.com/2015/08/for-love-of-jen-hatmaker-quotes-friday.html.

Crystal Santos said...

LOVE the quote about shepherding our kid's hearts and not just hemlines. So good. So, true! It is from the heart that everything flows!

Kelly S said...

I love them all! How did I miss them when finding my five? I think you are right; five is too small of a number! Thanks for linking up! #FTL #FridayFive

Andrea said...

Oh I love your favorite quotes and yes, 500 might have worked better. It was so hard to choose only 5. Your images coordinate well with your quotes too. You're welcome to link up over on my blog if you'd like. http://emptyplatefullheart.com/2015/08/14/friday-five-for-the-love-of-jen-hatmaker-quotes/